Thursday, April 15, 2010

Deadlines

It's April 15, so deadlines are on my mind. Not just today's filing deadline, but deadlines in general. My life is built around them, and has been forever, it seems. When I was a student there were tests and papers looming regularly on the horizon. Ditto for the few years after college when I was a teacher. Then I became a journalist, a business with deadlines built into its DNA.
Through the years I've come to think of deadlines as my friends. While I rail about them, especially as they're drawing near, they keep me on task, they keep me honest -- and they keep me sane. My major problem is taking on too many of them. But yesterday, I turned down a freelance assignment because I knew I couldn't finish it in time. Is this wisdom? Is this folly? I'm not sure. But it's certainly proof of the power of deadlines.

Labels:

blogger counters