Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Checklist

I'm reading (actually, racing to finish, because it's a library book) The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande. I discovered Gawande's writing through one of those Best Essays volumes and have continued to read and enjoy his books.

This one is about how checklists save lives. He tells one riveting story about an operation gone wrong (his own error) and how a checklist ensured there was a large supply of blood on hand to transfuse the patient. One of the items on the checklist was for the surgical team to introduce themselves before the operation began. As a result, Gawande says,"We came into the room as strangers. But when the knife hit the skin, we were a team." It was teamwork and cool, methodical action that saved the patient's life.

Two days before our departure, I'm making my own checklists. Passport. Check. International Driver's Permit. Check. I've always been a list-maker--and I've often faulted myself for it, thinking it the sign of a limited imagination. But reading this book has made me feel better about my habit. If lists save lives, think of what they can do for vacations.

Labels: ,

blogger counters