Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fathers and the Faraway


Fathers, I've read in child development books, bring the outside world to the young child. They are the "oh" of surprise, the gasp of delight. I think today of my own father, who traveled every week for work when I was young. Friday night we'd wait for the crunch of his tires on our gravel driveway. He brought with him a whiff of the faraway, of Columbus or Chicago or even, sometimes, New York.

When I first met Tom, he was just back from a student backpacking trip through Europe and he told me stories about living in England with his family for a year. He was (and is!) cosmopolitan!

Families thrive on a combination of the cozy and the wide-open. When kids (including grown kids) know they're loved, they're free to venture out into the world. The two most important men in my life have always done that for me.

Labels: ,

blogger counters