Monday, July 19, 2010

Martha and Mary


Yesterday's gospel was a story that always rankles me. Martha and Mary, sisters of Lazarus, are entertaining Jesus. Martha is running around playing hostess while Mary sits at Jesus' feet, listening to him talk. When Martha complains to Jesus, he says, "Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken from her."

Every time I hear this Bible passage I want to scream. This is because I identify with Martha, even though I'd rather be Mary. I love to sit and talk about ideas, but I can't unless I know the homefront is secure. And the tension between these twin impulses makes me anxious.

So when I heard this familiar story yesterday I sat with my hands folded, waiting for illumination. "If I had to choose, I would side with Martha," the priest said. "But good deeds are spoiled by bad attitudes." Ahhh. Yes. That is true. It removes none of the injustice. My blood still boils. Someone has to cook the food, make the bed, sweep the floor. There will always be people who roll up their sleeves and others who wait for the sleeve-rollers. But attitude is important, and it's good to be reminded of that from time to time — even from the pulpit.

Labels:

blogger counters