Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Day's Drive


When our girls began looking at colleges, one of our rules was that the school be no more than a day's drive away. Of course there were questions: Why just a day? And what do you mean by day? We explained that we didn't have a 24-hour marathon in mind. Just a normal seven- or eight-hour drive. When you live where we do, this covers a lot of ground. From Boston to Charleston to Ohio — and plenty of places in between.

I was thinking of this yesterday as I drove to Kentucky to help out my dad, who had fallen the night before and broken his shoulder. I could leave Virginia at noon and be in Lexington by dinner time.

Air travel has changed our view of space and distance, has made it possible to stay close to friends and family in a way that would have been impossible a generation or two ago. I know that jobs, education and other circumstances of life may not always allow for such proximity. But I do know that yesterday, I was glad to be only a day's drive away from these people I love.

Labels:

blogger counters