Monday, November 8, 2010

Solvitur Ambulando


The phrase jumped out at me from the page, in this case a review of Tony Hiss's new book In Motion in yesterday's New York Times Book Review. I was reading the paper in the car, and the sunlight fell over my shoulder and onto the words. The letters seemed to glow:

Solvitur Ambulando. "It is solved by walking." An adage beloved by pilgrims and monks and wandering scholars. The belief that there is wisdom in stepping out the door, putting one foot in front of the other, leaving the world as we know it behind.

Had I heard it sooner, I might have named my blog Solvitur Ambulando. Too late now. There is already a blog called Solvitur Ambulando.

But I move forward in the spirit of this phrase: that when the mind spins, when the spirit sags, it never hurts to lace up the old shoes, grab the Walkman (ancient technology though it is) and take to the road. "It is solved by walking."

Labels:

blogger counters