Friday, December 17, 2010

Summoning Cheer


On the subject of holiday cheer: It is hard to summon sometimes. This year we are missing Tom's Aunt Mary Ann and dealing with other sadness. Our tree isn't up yet because we're waiting for the girls to come home from college. Bad weather and postponed finals may delay their arrival. It's easy to find the shopping, cards, baking and wrapping more demanding than other chores because they require false gaiety. How to lighten the heavy heart?

Here is today's plan: I exercised early; it helps clears the cobwebs. I scoured the counter and threw out three days worth of old newspapers. I'll work; intellectual effort takes me out of myself. I'll make our favorite cookies today, the ones that melt in your mouth. I'll pray; that goes without saying. Most of all I will be grateful for all we have, which is much, so much.
blogger counters