Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Wedding


As I write this morning my eye is trained on a ceremony happening thousands of miles away. I listen to the men and boy's choir sing a hymn. I marvel at the vivid reds of the robes and of the carpet that extends down the length of Westminster Abbey (different red carpet above but the best I can muster).

I remember visiting the place, the sacred ground, the poets and the leaders who are buried there, the ceremonies that sanctified the walls and windows and every inch of the air.

In the front of the altar stand a woman in a long white dress with tapering lace sleeves, and a man in a smart red jacket. They are special, these people, but their marriage, like any other, will rise and fall on their own efforts, on how much they can give, on how much they can receive. "Every wedding is a royal wedding," they are told.

As the ceremony ends the congregation inside the Abbey and everyone outside it sing "Jerusalem," a favorite of mine since I first saw the movie "Chariots of Fire" many years ago. I take that as a good omen!
blogger counters