Saturday, May 14, 2011

Circle Route


Yesterday I went for a walk in the suburbs of Lexington, Kentucky. Growing up I didn't think of them as suburbs; we called them "subdivisions." If pressed, we could walk downtown from our outlying area. But suburbs they are, with the wide lawns and good schools to prove it.

I squeezed in yesterday's stroll before the rain, and the entire walk had a sense of fullness and portent that sharpened the sensations. I have a circle route I walk when I'm here, and it takes me through an older neighborhood, into a new one and then back into the older one again. I noticed the locust trees, their fallen petals dried in piles on the street. Phlox is blooming here, and roses in profusion.

A circle walk is a calming practice; it brings you back quite naturally to where you started. Not unlike a visit home.
blogger counters