Friday, October 14, 2011

Rhythm of Life


Sometimes when I'm feeling worn out, idea-less (is that a word?), in need of a long vacation on a broad beach, a song pops into my head. Often the song will be perfectly apt to the situation at hand. With the canny precision of a dream, the lyrics or melody will match the mood I'm feeling — even before I'm feeling it.

This morning I've been thinking how life requires us to keep going. Our steps don't have to be elegant or persuasive. We just have to put one foot in front of the other. Over and over again.

And the song that popped into my head was this one, "The Rhythm of Life." When I was a teacher and accompanied the school chorus, we performed this piece. It was in my head for years and the magic of the Internet and YouTube brought it alive again.

Originally from "Sweet Charity" (I think), it's beloved of grade school choruses and is best sung by amateurs. We are the ones who capture the reaching, reaching, reaching for the high notes in the middle and rushing through the flustered accelerando near the end. It is a song about living, about keeping going. I'm going to be listening to it today.

Labels:

blogger counters