Monday, May 21, 2012

Birds Take Flight

"Every day,  I walked. It was not a meditation, but survival, one foot in front of the other, with my eyes focused down, trying to stay steady."

This is from Terry Tempest Williams' new book When Women Were Birds. A few pages later, Williams writes: "I am a writer about place who is never home."

I link these two passages. The walking and the writing about place.  Each essential to the other. One to prime the pump, the other to fill the jug with cold, clean water.

So where do the birds come in? Williams meets her husband at a bookstore, as he's buying a bird guide. Williams finds her voice through a special teacher who reads to her about the winter owl. A peregrine falcon once slit the corner of Williams' eye. Another time, Williams sees a painted bunting that arrived in a wintry Maine on the cusp of a fierce winter storm.

"When dawn struck his tiny feathered back, he ignited like a flame: red, blue and green. ... I have not dreamed of white birds since."

When I finished Williams' book I flipped through the pages with my thumb — and saw the birds that illustrate the outer edge of each page fly back and forth as if alive.

Birds take flight. So do words.

Labels: , , ,

blogger counters