Wednesday, July 4, 2012

First Race

This morning, Claire competes in her first road race. She's been running for a couple of months now, and she's ready to compete. And I'm excited she's doing it. Running meant a lot to me when I was her age; it gave me confidence that I, a klutz, could actually do something athletic.

Claire has never had that problem. She is naturally coordinated; she makes ice skating and rollerblading look easy. But this is still a big deal because it is such a disciplined and regulated activity. It is the sort of thing one does to push one's self. And as such, is a good illustration of the kind of person Claire is becoming.

So this morning when the race begins, and Claire feels that little flutter in her stomach that's reserved for the new things we do in life, I'll be feeling it with her.

Labels: ,

blogger counters