Friday, April 26, 2013

Grass Moon

It's not green, not blue, either. It's a brilliant white, brighter than any recent winter moon. It's the Grass Moon, a springtime orb, arriving just as the grass is starting to grow again and the mowers are humming and before we've grown tired of that weekly ritual.

 I learned of the Grass Moon by reading my favorite go-to weather site, the Capital Weather Gang. It will be a beautiful full moon tonight, the "Gang" told me, the Grass Moon. So I tiptoed out the front door at 9:30, trying not to rouse the dog, and stared at the moon peeking through the branches of the dogwood tree.

It was doubly framed, this moon, first by the tall oaks and then by the white blossoms of the tree. The moon shed enough light that I could make out each separate flower, could notice the details of branch and bloom, could have probably (if I'd wanted to) knelt down and counted each blade of grass.

It was a moon that brought the rest of spring into focus.

Wikimedia Commons: Fir0002/Flagstaffotos




Labels: ,

blogger counters