Friday, May 24, 2013

The Grand Gesture


This is what, long ago, made him fall in love with photography, the paying of attention, the capturing of time. He had forgotten exactly this. … Pay attention, he thinks. Not to the grand gesture, but to the passing breath.
 Lauren Groff, Arcadia                                   

 It's easy to pay attention to what is new. My flight yesterday was not new but newish. I hadn't flown into National Airport in years. I had forgotten the landmarks, the way the plane barrels along the Potomac as it pours in from the west. 

There was National Cathedral, the Kennedy Center, the Capitol, the Washington Monument covered in scaffolding. There was Gravelly Point Park, the small jet swooping in so close I could see the dotted yellow lines on the bicycle path. And then, we had landed, and I was back on earth.

From the smooth purity of air travel to the jingle-jangle of ground transportation.

What I experienced from the plane was the paying of attention. But it was paying attention to the grand gesture. What I saw from the ground was the passing breath.

Labels:

blogger counters