Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Fourth in History

I know at least two re-enactors at Gettysburg this week, one fighting for the North and one for the South. And I remember the school trips each of the girls took to the battlefield in sixth grade, playing out roles in their own Picketts' Charge.

There's a battlefield site minutes from here where another battle was fought, the Battle of Ox Hill (or the Union name, the Battle of Chantilly) and I think I'll go there today. It's a place I've passed several hundred times and always meant to see. It's tucked between malls, hidden in plain sight, a bit of history almost buried by modern life.

But it's still there, not quite five acres. And visiting it seems like a good way to celebrate the day, here in the Old Dominion.

Labels: ,

blogger counters