Monday, August 26, 2013

A Building is Born

This morning on my way to work I didn't have to cross the street and cross it again a block later. I didn't have to walk around a construction site. It seems that finally, finally, the new building is finished.

I've watched it fall and rise again, gutted, framed and windowed. The old building was indistinguishable from its brothers, another stone box. This new version is mostly glass, it seems. Shiny and bright, but I'm wondering how it will hold up.

No matter, though. I'm just relieved that my path here is not impeded, that cranes don't swing across the sky, that First Street no longer narrows to one lane.

It happens all the time, I know, but usually not so close to home. And when it does, it's worth mentioning: A building is born.


Labels: ,

blogger counters