Monday, August 5, 2013

Away Message

Every month at work I receive an inbox full of away messages courtesy of an e-newsletter my office sends out. While I typically think of these as an annoyance and delete them without a second glance, the last time I decided to read some.

I decided that there's an art to the away message. Some are terse, no nonsense: I am away from the office until August 19.  I will answer emails when I return.

Others offer a ray of hope: I will be away until August 19 with limited access to email. "Limited" is not defined, of course. Does this mean a response later in the week? the day? the hour?  I've had all three experiences.

Many propose alternate forms of assistance: If you need immediate help, please contact ... Often these substitutes are obvious ones, the colleagues anyone who's in touch with you would already know. But listing them in the away message provides some coverage, some control.

The best away messages are the ones that already carry some of that devil-may-care vacation spirit. "I'm in Bora Bora till the cows come home. Deal with it, wage slave!"

These are the messages that can cause a contagion of sick days. They are not polite, not corporate. And they don't end with "Thanks" or "Best" but with "Ciao" or "Later."

The away message of my dreams.

Labels: ,

blogger counters