Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Community of Voters

I voted after work, entered the almost empty gym of Fox Mill Elementary School as the new, earlier darkness was settling over the suburbs.

It brings back memories, this polling place: all the trips I've taken there, many with one or several kids in tow, introducing them to the mysteries of the voting machine, giving them a sense of civic responsibility.

Today, as for the last many years, I voted alone. But not really.

When I gave the clerk my name and address, she smiled: "I think everyone on Fort Lee Street has voted today."

Really? I said, with a grin I didn't think I could muster. I felt a sense of silent community with my neighbors. Pride of place? Not exactly, but close.

Yes, I voted. And I wasn't the only one.

(What I saw on the way to the polling place.)

Labels:

blogger counters