Saturday, December 21, 2013

It's a Wrap!


Gift wrapping can be a meditative experience. Last night as I was cutting and taping and smoothing edges, I thought about my system, that it’s a little like painting. I spend as much time prepping as I do actually wrapping.

Prepping means finding the items, removing their price tags, matching them with their gift receipts, swaddling them in tissue paper and arranging them in a box. Only then can the wrapping begin. Of course there are items that need no boxes. Books are good for this. Or other things (can't be too specific here or I would spoil some surprises) that come already boxed. God bless 'em.

And then there are gift bags. I’ve been late to jump aboard the gift bag train. Seems like cheating to me. But when it’s 11 p.m. and the back is hurting from bending over the bed (which is how I always wrap gifts and probably always will), the gift bags and the perky colored tissue paper start to look pretty good.

I finished a lot of wrap-prep and even some wrapping last night. Enough to tell me how much more buying I have to do. So now – yes, I know, I know – I will have even more wrapping to do tonight. What can I say? 'Tis the season.

Labels:

blogger counters