Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Beaten Path

Sometimes I'm on it, sometimes I'm off it. But I always have a responsibility to it. For who will keep the path beaten if not the walker? Who else will clear it of weeds and stones? Who else will smooth it out, will wear it down to dirt?

On woods walks it's easy to spot which paths are well trod and which have banished from neglect. Animals do their part; there are deer runs in the woods, too. But humans blaze the widest trails.

I find this thought comforting: That the forest needs me just as I need the forest. That in passing through I create the possibility of further passage. That each amble makes the next one easier. That each foot fall is creative.

This is more than just "use it or lose it." It's organic, symbiotic. It's proof, once again, that we're all in this together.


Labels: , ,

blogger counters