Friday, January 16, 2015

Sur La Plage

For the most part, Benin turns its back on the beach. Many Beninese can't swim, and few people fish. There are a few hotels along the coastline in Cotonou but for much of Benin's oceanfront, beaches are trash-strewn and deserted. What a marvelous natural resource untapped and unclaimed!

As my visit here winds to a close I wanted to spend a couple days at a real beach resort, so we came to the Auberge de Grand Popo, which is sur la plage (on the beach) and within spitting distance of Togo.

The trash, it will always be with us. But it doesn't matter much here. The natural beauty of the place overwhelms it. We went to sleep last night to the sound of surf, and I'm listening to the waves as I write this post. It's palmy and shady and gorgeous. But don't take my word for it. See for yourself!



Labels:

blogger counters