Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Not So White Shoes

As I was saying, I love my white tennis shoes, took great pride in finding a pair that is not fluorescent pink or day-glow orange. The beauty of white shoes is that they're white — but that's also their problem. One is tempted to keep them always white. But that would mean keeping them always in a box.

I started out with good intentions, switching to my old shoes whenever I was going off road. But I don't always know where my feet will take me. Sometimes I start on pavement but return home a different way.

Yesterday's ramble took me into the neighborhood of South Field, where I thought I could pick up a path that meandered back to Folkstone. The path never emerged, and before long I was bushwhacking through downed trees and brambles. Ahead of me was a creek (there is always a creek around here; though we call them runs), so I searched the bank to find a narrow place to cross.

As you might expect, it wasn't quite narrow enough.  I slipped and doused my right foot in creek water, then stepped back into a couple inches of  mud just for good measure.

I'm reminded of this quotation by John A. Shedd: "A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for." The same could be said of white tennis shoes!


Labels: ,

blogger counters