Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Behind the Wheel

Women in Saudi Arabia have just been given the right to drive. It's a much-needed step toward equality in that nation, and I'd glad that it's finally happening.

Makes me think about a time in my life when driving meant liberation, which was decades ago, when I first got my license. Now driving is an irksome duty, a way to move from A to B. Now I feel more liberated walking or riding a bike than I do driving a car. It's hard to feel free when you're sitting in traffic or jostling with trucks on the Beltway.

Good to be reminded, though, of the pleasures of locomotion, of not being dependent on others for transport. I could be sitting on one of those buses in Bangladesh, the battered ones that seem to have been in countless crashes. Or I could be on the back of a zemidjan in Benin, hanging on for dear life as motorscooters careen around me.

But instead I have a car of my own and can propel myself wherever I need to go. It's nice to be reminded that it's nice to have wheels.

Labels: ,

blogger counters