Monday, February 12, 2018

Magical Thinking

Watching a lot of Olympics these days and thinking about the power of spectator sports. How after a while, you can imagine your limbs as straight and as strong, your nerves as steady. There's some kind of magical transference that ends the minute I get up and stretch. But for a few minutes, it's sublime.

Or maybe that's just me.

There is much talk of how slopes and rinks can stand in for battlefields. How when nations compete at sports they are less likely to compete at war. This may well be true.

But aren't sports also good for intergenerational harmony? I look at the perfect spins and arabesques of the figure skaters, remember a time when I could hold my leg up to my ear — not while standing on a steel blade, mind you. But still, a time when I was more limber than I am now.

The years fade away when I'm watching the Olympics. Not just the years, but the lack of training and the fear of heights. For just a moment I'm soaring off a ski jump, twisting in air, feeling the unlimited power and strength of youth.

(Photo: Afritorial.com)

Labels: ,

blogger counters