Thursday, June 28, 2018

From a Distance

As the country grows ever more politicized, reading the newspaper becomes an ever more fraught occupation.

I could dive right into op-eds supporting my views, and I often do, but today I didn't want the echo chamber. I wanted what we don't have, proof of wise heads.

So instead, I looked deep inside the front section. There was an article on how Congo has controlled Ebola: a sorely needed good-news story. Of all the nations in the world, Congo is the best at tracking the disease. One seldom hears that any African nation is "best at" at anything, so this was doubly good.

Then there was a bizarre piece on strife and lawsuits in the Buzz Aldrin family. His children think he's losing it, so they have seized assets. He's suing to have them back.

Buzz Aldrin, the article reminds us, is the second man to walk on the moon. He once described it as having a "magnificent desolation."

Thanks to this phrase, I'm lifted beyond the Supreme Court decisions and retirements and the upcoming meeting with Putin. I'm looking at the blue marble. In my head, words to the song "From a Distance":

From a distance the world looks blue and green
And the snow capped mountains white
From a distance the ocean meets the stream
And the eagle takes to flight
From a distance there is harmony
And it echoes through the land
It's the voice of hope
It's the voice of peace
It's the voice of every man...

Labels: ,

blogger counters