Tuesday, November 6, 2018

The Gold Standard

I'm thinking back to Sunday's afternoon walk. The day later than the clock said it was, Copper tugging on the leash. I dropped my shoulders, told myself there was nothing to do but enjoy the briskness, the trees at peak color.

We're not known for autumn splendor in northern Virginia. Spring is our time to shine. But still, there are moments when the sun slants in fetchingly from the west and the leaves catch it and reflect it back.

I tried to capture that by snapping some photos. But as usual, it's not just the shot I want, it's the way the air feels and the sound of tiny birds peeping, the creek gurgling and (of course) the drone of a leaf blower. You're never deep enough in the Folkstone woods that you can't hear that.

But when the leaves are swirling around and collecting in golden circles at your feet, it doesn't much matter.

blogger counters