Saturday, April 6, 2019

The Feeling of Clean

The urge to spring clean is a real one, I think. As nature renews itself outside, there's a strong need to spruce things up inside, to scrub and pound, to throw open the windows, to air things out.

The other day I washed bed linens, right down to the mattress casings. I dusted and vacuumed in a more deep-cleaning way than usual. As I fell asleep last night under a freshly laundered duvet cover, I pondered the feeling of clean.

There seems to be a tightness to it, as if fibers loosened over time have suddenly been compressed again, are back to their normal connections and boundaries. And there's a lightness to it, too. Those compressed fibers take up less room.

The feeling of clean should motivate me to scrub and scour more often than I do. But, alas, it must always compete with the feeling of too-much-to-do.

Labels: ,

blogger counters