Friday, July 12, 2019

Too Much and Too Little

Charlotte Airport, 9 p.m.
Modern travel has much to recommend it. More people can be whisked to more places than ever before. But as anyone who has flown recently knows, modern travel can also be a headache.

Yesterday I spent 12 hours getting home from Little Rock. I could almost have driven in that time. Thunderstorms were the culprit. They grounded planes, which then caused a cascade of delays that rippled through the East Coast and beyond.

That much couldn't be helped. But as I walked through the Charlotte Airport I couldn't help but see deeper problems. There were plenty of places to spend money, but no comfortable seats. The place was so cold that my fingers were numb by the time I boarded the plane. And while the airline wheeled out a cart of snacks and drinks, there weren't enough attendants to help the stranded travelers get where they were going.

There was, in short, both too much ... and too little.

National Airport, 3 a.m.

Labels:

blogger counters