Sunday, November 24, 2019

Eat Dessert First

Long ago, when I was a musical purist, I would have thought it gauche to listen to only one movement of a recorded symphony. In most cases, I enjoyed the entire piece anyway, but even if I didn't, diligence kept me on task. If I was going to thrill with the allegro, then I would muse with the adagio.

For several years now, though, my approach to music has been the aural equivalent of "eat dessert first."  If I feel like listening only to the last movement of Mozart's Jupiter Symphony, then that's what I do.

Maybe it's a matter of time, or lack thereof. Maybe I'm just giving in to a need for immediate gratification. I could also blame it on Washington's classical radio station, which routinely cherrypicks the most notable movements of a concerto or symphony and seldom plays a piece in its entirety.

No doubt about it, listening to an entire work is a different experience, more ennobling, a journey rather than a destination. But these days I'm discovering the particular pleasures of listening to what I love best. In other words, to co-opt the catchphrase ... Life is uncertain. Last movements first.


Labels:

blogger counters