Tuesday, September 29, 2020

The Raven's Debut

Last night I caught most of "You Can't Take it With You," Frank Capra's 1938 film staring James Stewart, Jean Arthur, Basil Rathbone and ... Jimmy the raven. It was first of many appearances for Jimmy in Capra films, most notably (at least for me) in It's a Wonderful Life

I'm not a Capra expert, but I certainly picked up on themes I've known from his other films — the little people against the big people, the importance of friendship, the corrupting influence of money, and the dearness of animals. 

In this film Jimmy the raven helps make fireworks (don't ask) and a small kitten sits charmingly atop a sheaf of papers that one of the characters is typing up for a book. She decided to become a writer when a typewriter was accidentally delivered to their house. Perhaps as good a reason as any to take up the profession.

Whether it was the writing, the raven or the sheer zaniness of the plot, the film left me light-hearted. Not a bad way to end the day.  

Labels: , ,

blogger counters