Monday, July 12, 2021

Shank's Mare

Today, my feet are in the suburbs but my soul is in the city. I'm missing New York City in many ways, especially in this one: walking there is purposeful. It's about getting where you need to be, not taking 10,000 steps.

You don't bother with the subway if you're just hopping 20 blocks. Taxis are harder to come by than they used to be, and on Thursday night, Uber was asking $120 to take you from the Upper West Side to the Lower East Side. Yes, they are on opposite sides of the island, but come on!

Which brings us to shank's mare, that most dependable mode of transportation. It might be hot and it might take a minute, but walking will get you where you need to be.

Yes, I rhapsodize about the practice of walking. It calms and inspires me on a daily basis. So much so that it's easy to forget its original purpose, which is to get us from one place to another. In New York City, you don't forget.

Labels: , ,

blogger counters