Monday, March 21, 2022

Connections

In my continuing quest to  explore the untrod paths of my immediate environs I found myself  the other day not exactly lost "in a dark wood," but flummoxed on a bright, leafless hillside. 

In short, I was stymied by a creek that seemed much deeper and fast-flowing than I remembered it being the last time I was there. Since the last time I was there was several years ago, this was understandable. But it didn't help me across. 

For that I had to circle back to the shoulder-less two-lane road I'd crossed to get there. I trotted quickly along the side of the road facing the traffic, stepped over the guard rail, and made it to the other side of the creek before the next car sped by. 

I enjoyed the rest of the stroll alongside the creek, sauntering, thinking, except, I'll admit, for a vague unease about getting back. I needn't have bothered because I discovered on the way home a more direct passage to the trail by staying in my neighborhood's common land until it reaches the stream valley park. There was even a little homemade bridge to guide me. 

I'm not sure, but I think there's a lesson in here somewhere ... 

Labels: ,

blogger counters