Monday, May 9, 2022

80-1 ... 91-1

When I wrote Saturday's post, which only alluded to the Derby, I didn't know what a Derby it would be. Didn't know that friends and family would be calling and texting to share their amazement. Didn't know that Rich Strike, the horse with the second-longest odds ever, would win the race. 

What I had forgotten until my brother reminded me yesterday was that the horse who won with the longest odds ever was Donerail, 91-1, named for Donerail Station in Scott County, Kentucky. It's a horse I've heard about since I was a child, a horse Mom would have bet on, for sure, if only she had been alive and of betting age at the time (1913). 

As the descendants of both Donnellys and Scotts, as the proud daughter of a long-shot bettor, as a fan of hopeless causes everywhere, Rich Strike, I salute you!

Labels: ,

blogger counters