Monday, July 25, 2022

Ancient Airs

How is is that a piece I've heard for years suddenly amazes me? Have I just grown into it? Have I never truly listened to it before?

Respighi's "Ancient Airs and Dances" has reached up and grabbed me by the lapels. It's seducing me with its melodies, calming me with its chords. It's leaving me wanting more. 

There are three suites, I learn. Respighi, a musicologist, based the pieces on Renaissance lute songs. But what is old becomes new in the hands of this brilliant orchestrator. The sprightly opening of the first, the second with its expansive denouement, and the third, described as the most melancholic. Yes, I hear those minor keys. But I also hear grandeur and joy. The recording I find orders them 1, 3 and 2, a suitable reordering, I think.  

I read more. Respighi died in 1936 at age 56. His wife, Elsa, a former pupil 14 years younger, outlived him by 60 years. A friend said their marriage "functioned on an almost transcendent level of human and spiritual harmony." Elsa made sure that her husband's legacy was secure. She died in 1996  at age 102. 

Labels:

blogger counters