Thursday, December 29, 2022

City Walks

We still have a few days, but New Year's resolutions are beginning to coalesce. Or at least one of them is. 

Yesterday, I drove Celia and Matt into D.C. to save them a Metro trip. I was surprised by how excited I was to see the city spread out  beyond the river, first the Washington Monument swinging into focus and, a second or two later, the Capitol behind it. 

It was chilly enough to feel like winter but without the biting cold of recent days. Sidewalks were clogged with holiday visitors. There was a celebratory feeling in the air. 

I found a convenient spot to pull over and drop them off, and even more remarkably, was able to make a (perhaps illegal) U-turn at 12th to head home. But I couldn't help looking for parking places on Constitution on the return trip. Wouldn't it be nice to walk in the city instead of the suburbs? 

I didn't do it yesterday, but a new year beckons. It's only a matter of time. 

Labels: , ,

blogger counters