Thursday, March 23, 2023

The Beauty

I've lost track of how many times I've trekked around the Tidal Basin to see Washington, D.C.'s cherry trees in bloom. More times than I can count, for sure. I've seen the trees with toddlers in tow, with Mom long ago, but for the last many years, I've seen the blossoms alone, usually before or after work.

Yesterday I went down early, as if it were still a workday for me, wanting to beat the crowds. I snapped photos of people, not just blossoms, because it's the people I notice year after year. Old and young, nimble and slow-moving. The amateur photographers and the serious, long-lensed people, too. 

There was a woman in a strapless dress with a pink parasol. She made a lovely focal point for this amateur photographer, but she must have been cold. I was wearing three layers. 

If you look closely at her, you'll notice the water lapping nearly at her feet. Some parts of the path were completely submerged and pedestrians had to detour up a little hill until the trail reappeared. There have been articles lately about the peril the blossoms face with rising sea levels and early blooms. 

But when I saw the trees again, I wasn't thinking about the peril—just appreciating the beauty. 

Labels: , ,

blogger counters