Thursday, June 8, 2023

Cars in Clothes

The Jeep caught my eye, not because of its sleek lines or elegant design, but because of the perky bow on its spare tire. 

Why do people dress their cars, give them antlers in December and bunny ears in spring? Is it because they spend so much time in their vehicles that the autos are an extension of themselves? An attempt to humanize the vehicle so we act civilly around it? Or is it pure whimsy that drives this practice? 

I'm going with that last explanation because it makes me smile.  To celebrate this Jeep's "attire," I snapped a shot while stopped at a light. 

There's a twist to this story, an amazing one too, given the number of cars I pass in this auto-dependent suburb. Four hours later, I spotted the same car, miles away from where I saw it the first time. 

Car clothes aren't just fun then, they're a powerful identifier. The moral of this story: Dress your car if you must, but be sure it behaves itself. 

Labels:

blogger counters