Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Throwing Shade

No insult intended, but all shade is not created equal. There is the thin stuff you find on a warm summer afternoon. It's accidental, created only by the intersection of building and sunlight. It's great to find it, and I've even crossed a street for it, but it's not a true, deep, cultivated shade. 

There's a watering hole I pass on my way to the beach, a small restaurant and bar that has mastered the art of shade I remember from trips to hot, faraway places where air conditioning is nonexistent. 

This is intentional shade: deep and palmetto-fringed. Ceiling fans are whirring and large rotating fans are blowing. The place is recessed but open. Every time I pass by I'm tempted to linger in its recesses, to seek relief in its dark, cool interior.


Labels: ,

blogger counters