Saturday, March 23, 2024

Pastry of Champions

The bags are unpacked, the laundry is done, and the souvenirs are stowed away, waiting for their recipients. All except one: the final pastel de nata, the custard tart Portugal is famous for and which I bought a six-pack of in the airport. That one is for breakfast. 

Pastéis de nata weren't the only pastries I purchased at Humberto Delgado Airport. I also sprang for a travesseiro, which was labeled "traditional Portuguese pastry" but which I learn means pillow and is the signature dessert of Sintra, the fairytale town outside Lisbon. 

Maybe I had just had my fill of pasteis de nata by the time I bit into this delicacy the day before yesterday, but in many ways I enjoyed it more: the flakiness of the crusty sweet, its delicate flavor. As you can see in the photo, I couldn't wait to sample it. And now... I can't wait to taste one again.

Labels: ,

blogger counters