Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Name That Bird

It tweets, whistles, sings and trills. I'm listening to it right now, though on my computer rather than in the field. In my wanderings on and near the beach these last few days, I've been spotting a gray bird with white markings. It's the state bird of Florida, the mockingbird.

There are some who want to replace it with the flamingo, a bird more associated with the Sunshine State, though flamingos have been absent from the state until just recently. 

Without wading too far into this controversy, let me say that the mockingbird is a splendid creature with an array of sounds that amaze and baffle. It finds a high branch on which to perch and sing its heart out. It has my vote, in case anyone asks for it. 

(Northern mockingbird, credit Bob Baker via Cornell Bird Lab)

Labels: ,

blogger counters