Saturday, September 7, 2024

The Bird and the Bee

'Tis the season of stoking up, and the local hummingbirds are doing just that. They're hanging out near the feeders, sipping nectar and scaring off interlopers. 

Yesterday, I watched as an especially feisty bird sparred with a bee! Yes, a bee. Not a large bumblebee or wood bee, but a modestly-sized honeybee. 

The honeybee was stoking up too, you see, and this did not sit well with the hummingbird, who became increasingly territorial. 

At one point, it looked more like the bee was chasing the bird than the other way around. I wish I could have snapped a photograph of their aerial displays, but these are quicksilver creatures, best observed and admired from afar. So instead I'll trot out one of the few decent photos I've ever taken of a hummingbird. It will have to do.

Labels: ,

blogger counters