Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Writing in Bed


Astute readers of these posts will notice that they're as often about books and writing as they are about walking. No walking today; I'm not feeling well enough to get out of bed. So into the bed come books, journal, newspaper, laptop and notes for the article I have to write whether I'm sick or not.

Writing in bed makes me remember something I'd heard about Winston Churchill, that he spent most of his mornings in bed, reading all the daily newspapers, dictating to his secretary, writing. I also learned from a book called The Writer's Desk that Edith Wharton, Colette, Proust, James Joyce and Walker Percy all wrote in bed. I have to laugh about Walker Percy. For a while it seemed that every novel my book group chose had been blurbed by Walker Percy. Perhaps Percy did his blurbing in bed, too.

Labels:

blogger counters