Thursday, September 8, 2011

Willow Rill


The word "rill" has been on my mind. I thought of it one day when I was walking, savored the quaintness of it, the smallness of it; how it sounds like what it is: a small brook or stream, water running quickly across a bed of rocks, mud or beaten grass. The word is linguistically kin to "rivulet" and is also close to "run," another word for creek in southern places.

We drove past Willow Run in Emmitsburg, Maryland, over the weekend, and I was delighted to see the word in print. Not knowing why I thought about "rill" in the first place, here was a rill in real life. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

But all I could glimpse of Willow Rill was the bridge that led across it. So now I see the creek in my mind's eye, a stream of clear water flowing beneath a curtain of green, not as raucous as a brook, slower and more meandering, slight-banked. There is a lilt to its passage through the landscape (the word "rill" is mighty close to "trill"). It sings as it courses down the mountain.

Labels: ,

blogger counters