Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Nemesis


For the last few weeks I've been getting to know an old nemesis. If you had to name this entity it would diminish its power, so I will leave the name out for now. Let me just say that it sits on my shoulder and mumbles in my ear. Don't use that word; it won't work. Where is the transition here? No, that isn't it at all. When my nemesis has the upper hand I am wordless and unhappy.

Through the years I have assembled some ammunition. This blog, for instance; it flies beneath the radar screen. The nemesis lets it go. And sometimes in the morning I can work happily before the nemesis awakes. But long about midday it will set in with all its niggling, nagging power. Often I push through it. Sometimes I give up and do something else.

Looking in some writing books the other day I came across a passage that helps. It's from The Forest for the Trees by writer, editor and agent Betsy Lerner. "I won't say there's no such thing as a natural talent, but after working with many authors over the years, I can offer a few observations: having natural ability doesn't seem to make writing any easier (and sometimes makes it more difficult); having all the feeling in the world will not ensure the effective communication of feeling on the page; and finally, the degree of one's perseverance is the best predictor of success."

It's that last point that I cling to most. The nemesis doesn't like to hear it. The nemesis counts on my giving up. And so, just to spite it, I won't.

Labels: ,

blogger counters