Wednesday, March 14, 2012

First Things


Has it come to this then, writing a post about not writing a post? Or, I should say, writing a post about not writing a post first thing in the morning and hence being waylaid, side-stepped, distracted and otherwise shut off from those first pure moments. It's not yet 10 a.m., but on days I come into the office, I usually write before 6. Four hours later, I can see how easy it would be to not write at all. Let this, then, be a post about finding time, about deciding what will be automatic and what will not.

"Make it as much a part of your day as brushing your teeth," say the gurus of exercise/meditation/daily writing/morning prayer. But how many automatic elements can one day hold? Aren't our days already full to bursting?

All the more reason to plan carefully how we begin. To decide what will come first; to consider what, at the end of the day, we will most regret having not done.

I choose to begin with writing. Most days, I follow the plan. When I don't (like today, for instance), it doesn't take long to remember why I do.

Labels:

blogger counters