Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wild Places


A few days ago I wrote about Robert Macfarlane's book The Wild Places, how the author sought remote mountaintops and bogs as comfort and as challenge. I'm almost finished with the book now, and Macfarlane has learned something.
-->He talks about the wildness that is all around us, the simple views of field and fern that may be recorded in a journal or a letter or may not be recorded at all but simply held in mind.
Most of these places, he says, "were not marked as special on any map. But they became special by personal acquaintance. A bend in a river, the junction of four fields, a climbing tree, a stretch of old hedgerow or a fragment of woodland glimpsed from a road regularly driven along — these might be enough."

A few paragraphs later, Macfarlane says this: "It seemed to me that these nameless places might in fact be more important than the grander wild lands that for so many years had gripped my imagination."

To take Macfarlane's idea one step further: These nameless places are what attach us to a place, what make us feel bound to the land around us. This morning, I think about my own "wild places."


Labels: ,

blogger counters