Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Question and Answer

"What do you want for your birthday?" my daughters ask me.

"Family harmony," I say, "world peace."

I don't say "what we have right now." What we have sitting around this table, eating dinner at 10 o'clock. (Sometimes it takes that long to get everyone together.)

Give me a month of these conversations, of talking about what color to paint the kitchen and how much our floors creak. Of how much we love San Francisco and what our neighbors will think of our new siding. Of gun control and abortion. Of where we want to live when we grow up ... or retire.

And, just to be really greedy, bottle these voices for me. These voices I could pick out of a billion, they are so clear to me, and so dear.

That's what I'd like for my birthday.

And you say I'm hard to shop for.

Labels: ,

blogger counters