Monday, January 21, 2013

Inauguration Day

Lately at lunch I've taken to walking around the Capitol. It's only a few minutes from my office and I can stroll around it in 20 minutes or so, perfect if I don't have much time.

The place has no bad angles. It's grand and imposing no matter how it is viewed. The dome (finished 150 years ago; its completion of great importance to President Lincoln, a metaphor for uniting the divided country) is at its best against a blue sky. But even on cloudy winter days the building has its charms.

In the last two months I've watched as the West Front platform has been built, the fences have gone up and the chairs been arranged. The people's place? Not exactly.

I'll be glad when the inauguration is behind us and ordinary citizens can walk around the Capitol again.


Labels:

blogger counters