Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Trips of Others

Word comes this morning of a brother's travel plans. Electronic word.

This is the way the world works now. You forward itineraries, e-mail arrival and departure times. It's easy to do and helps with logistics.

Sometimes when planning my own trips, I become anxious, apprehensive. Can I make that connection? Should I stay in that hotel? Can I afford this trip? (The answers, if I'm being truthful with myself, are no, no and no.)

There are none of these problems with the trips of others. One can savor a place from afar. This is the day they land in Dublin and from there they'll drive to the Wicklow hills. Will it be raining? Will it be cold? It doesn't matter!

It's a good time to be an armchair traveler.

(This photo is from real, not virtual, travel.)

Labels:

blogger counters