Thursday, April 4, 2013

Daffodils

I discovered them last year and have imagined them many times since. Not exactly Wordsworth's daffodils, but close. They have the same careless profusion, the same grace and glee. They come to a world stripped of color; they are the opening salvo of spring.

Even knowing they were there, I was still surprised by their number and color, by the way they've threaded themselves through the woods.

And I wasn't the only one. There were other walkers on the path, nodding, pointing, savoring their glory.

I almost took another picture. But I'd taken several last year. So this year's pilgrimage was just to look, to imagine, to store them up like sunshine and good times. To keep them in mind as the poet did, for a "vacant" or "pensive mood."

And that's where they are now, and where they'll stay.




Labels: ,

blogger counters